Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday May 26, 1918 (Part 3)


I took some more pictures of Blanche, & one of her mother. Saw Heman and Stanley Backus pass in a car with Mr. and Mrs. Backus. Blanche's deafness grows worse & Mr. Moffatt (?) totally I fear. After lamp light we looked at magazines awhile & then retired. Blanche was tired & restless & I was glad when 5 o'clock came. Had an early breakfast & took the auto stage for N.B. about 6 o'clock. Mrs. B. D. Phillips who teaches at South Edmeston was on the stage. She and her husband expect to go to Idaho July 1st. I arrived at the Depot at 7 & as I had nearly an hour to wait I posted a letter & called at Ballard's store where I saw Lewis Frink & Lew Smith.

I bot some cookies & cheese & Lewis sent some candy to mother. It did seem good to see him. On the train I saw Mrs. Lyons from Lathams & Rockwells Mills. Arrived at school before Chapel was over. I was so glad I went for one should not forget old friends while forming new ones - & there is no place that clings so lovingly in the memory as those associated with one's girlhood days.

This week has been one mad rush of school, Junior Ex, & work & the week seemed to end before it was fairly begun. Wed & Thurs Zora was down. One day Gladys McKeever Raithel called at school a minute to see me. Thurs. I went to Oneanta to a District Library Meeting. It was in charge of Miss Hall of Endicott Public Library. She was a very pleasing speaker. Other speakers were Miss Alden, Miss Chase, Mr. Hemstreet, Miss Scatchard, Mrs. Hoye, & Mrs. Blackall. I met Miss McDonald who is to have 6th grade here next year, also Library work. Bessie & I together with Misses Rawley & Smith from Edmeston, Miss Eels & Mrs. Bassett from Walton & Miss Cope, Oneanta had lunch at the "Pioneer." The afternoon Session was entirely a discussion of recent War Books & I got a terrible headache. After buying a pair of silk stockings I went to "The Oneanta" where I rested till dinner time. Got here a little late for the dress rehearsal of Junior Ex. By going to that I had to miss a very important Red Cross Drive meeting & a good speaker.

The Junior Ex was up to its usual standard - the Swings & swing songs were attractive, but the tiny swingers & the three occupants (Lucile Walling, Virginia Dunn & Godfrey) were more attractive. The operetta a fairy poppy play in which a pink parasol, a girl, a gardener & a hat were figured was pretty, especially the costuming & everyone thought the stage trimmed attractively. Miss Gurney from Earlville & Miss Sprague from Endicott were back to it. I saw Helen awhile next day & feel encouraged regarding going to Endicott to teach.

No comments: