Tuesday, August 5, 2008

May 8, 1918

Wed Night May 8th. Mill Days.

Trees are "leafing out" rapidly. Yesterday saw my first oriole. The myrtle warblers are migrating. Mon night attended the Daughters of the Covenant meeting at Mrs. Chafee's. There was a good attendance. Election of officers was the order of the evening. Anna Smith did not care to be re-elected, but she was. Grace Wood was made Vice President, Lydia Fairbanks Sec'y & Molly Hatfield Treasurer. Mrs. Bristol & Mrs. Chafee were put on Flower Committee. The next meeting is a picnic to be held here in Beale Park.

Yesterday staid to drill Act I & walkeda round with Miss Goodrich. After super I ironed five waists, my middy & gingham dress. Miss Goodrich & Donald called in the meantime and I didn't get through ironing until 10 o'clock. Yesterday heard from Josephine Mazzarella, Luella (returned shoes) & had business letter from A.B.C. Today after school I attended the Red Cross tea served in the Auto Club Rooms. Stopped at work room and put together three Comfort Kits.

In school today we did Red Cross work & tonight after supper I basted edge of quilt for French Relief. Tonight I expect to write that "put off" letter to Mabelle & a letter to Gladys Parthel.

Ada Blevis brought me the post card pictures of the teachers to-day.

Notes: Mrs. Chafee is eluding me in the census records.

I find two Anna Smiths in Sidney in this era, one a single British immigrant, the other a younger boarder in one of the houses.

Mrs. Bristol is likely Nellie Bristol, wife of Archie Bristol. Lydia Fairbanks is the wife of Burton Fairbanks. Grace Wood is the wife of Charles Wood. Molly Hatfield is listed as Mary Hatfield in the census, wife of Harold Hatfield.

The only unmarried Goodrich I see is probably too young to be the one mentioned here. She would have been 8 at the time of this writing.

A "middy" is a "sailor dress." A dress based on a Mid-shipman's Naval uniform. A waist is a term for a shirt made to look like a man's shirt, with buttons and a collar. Short for "shirtwaist."

UPDATE: I don't know how I missed it before but the Goodrich listed is likely Rhuby Goodrich, wife of Walter Goodrich.

No comments: