Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Letter: Charlotte King

Dear Calla
How glad our letters have finished crossing, perhaps we can start on an equal footing again.

Well, I suppose you are wondering what excuse I have for not paying that promised visit, here it is—Natalie has the measles and another cough, so that,I will be obliged to postpone my trip.

If you knew how homesick for the country your last letter made me feel! I can shut my eyes and almost see the valley from your front porch. Never mind, when I do come I can assure you my visit will be well earned.

To be honest, I hate to lay off now when the fight is fiercer than ever and the little I do seems so small & insignificant & I only feel comforted when I am so tired that I am ready to drop.

Every day I wish I were a man, there is so much great work to be done which only men can do.

We have had the Blue Devils” of France visiting New York. They are fine specimens of manhood and have a look in their eyes which speaks of glimpses into another world. Some of them have been wounded 6 times & most of them twice.

Wasn’t it very sad about Horace Beale. I am so sorry for his father. His life has never been strewn with roses and this last blow seems rather too much.

Natalie was so excited over the Nanny goat. I hope Grandpa has not traded it.

Maybe this hot spell will wend the neuritis into Kingdom Come. Let’s hope so.

I have rheumatism so badly but have tried not to think about it only when it wouldn’t let me sleep, as one’s physical comfort is a matter of little importance & should not be given much thought.

Dear Calla, I hope I can come soon but will not make any promises.

Give my love to grandma & grandpa & I would hope they will soon feel well again.

Lovingly,
Lottie

Notes: Charlotte King is Calla's sister in law.


No comments: