Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sunday May 26, 1918 (Part 1)





(Note: I'll be breaking this entry into at least 3 posts as it is nearly 12 pages long.) The out of doors called so loudly that I decided suddenly to go up to Pittsfield & I went at 9:20 a.m. Sat the 18th. Went up with Mr. Hoag on the auto truck & put the mail out I the boxes for him. Mrs. Prosser did not seem very surprised to see me as she said she expected to have me come back. Juan has the measles but I found him making a nice recovery. After eating a nice lunch of bread & fried ham, cake & canned raspberries I started out for a walk over the old farm land hills. I went across where Jack was dragging for Islan Fletcher the new owner of the Light farm I took their picture & then crossed the back of our old farm. (see third page) (Note: See tomorrow's entry) After about 3 hours spent reminiscing I returned to Prosser's. My brown shoes were wet & muddy my blue suit skirt was soiled & I was tired; but I changed to my pumps, purple silk skirt & yellow silk waist & was soon over to Beatty’s. Saw Anna & Blanche, & after a little visit A.G. came in for a while. Near supper time Blanche & I went for a little walk. We gathered violets & went to see the kittens down in Tommy’s barn. Then we called at Mrs. Wait’s & I saw Marjorie one of May Davis Faye’s girls. I Staid to Anna’s for supper- neither of us speaking of one who was often in our minds. I got back to Jack’s around 9 o’clock. We visited till near midnight & I slept in the bed with "Who's Afraid" on the wall at the foot. Had breakfast (codfish cream gravy, potato & griddle cakes) at 8 next morning; & after taking 2 pictures of Juan & one of the family, I started out for a visit among the old neighbors. I never saw so many beautiful purple violets. I stopped & picked a large bunch just beyond the old pine tree north of our house. I carried them to Jennie Gregory, whom I found at home. She has been very ill the past winter & has aged fast. Their dear old flower gardens looked lovely & Jennie gave me a bouquet of the English cowslips, a flower one rarely sees. Flossie and her husband from Oneanta stopped a moment while on their way to her home. After taking Jennie's picture I went on skipping down the path where for years I journeyed back and forth to school.

I stopped at Kenny Matteson's & found Mr. & Mrs. Matteson, Jennie & Will at home. Was glad to see Will as he was one of my first small school mates in that old District School. Jennie is a beautiful young girl & attending the Morris Training Class. I staid there for a long call & then went cross lots (as of old) down through the sugar bush to the old school - so surrounded by new trees that it looks like some old hidden ruin. I stopped awhile & the stillness of everything except birds & babbling brooks seemed so awesome & lovely that I hastened on up the hill to Moffatt's. Norris sat on the porch, Mr. & Mrs. Blanche were asleep & dinner long over, so I didn't have any dinner but did not miss it at all & at an early supper I made up for the lost meal. The ones asleep were soon awake & we had a good visit.

Notes: I'm not really sure why the blank areas were left on the pages. Maybe she intended to paste in some of the photos she mentions in the pages?

The only Prossers listed in Pittsfield are Jack Prosser and Ester Prosser.

Anna Beatty and her husband Alex Beatty had two daughters Anna Beatty and Blanche Beatty.

No comments: