Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sunday, March 18, 1917


Have missed keeping a journal so much that I'm going to begin another hoping to be able to keep it up.

Today has been a typical March day -- snowy, blowy, with sunshine at times from behind banks of bluish grey skies & reflected on bluish purple hills partly covered with snow. This morning a big beautiful downy came to the suet for a long feast.

I attended church & heard a powerful sermon on "Investments in Patriotism;" staid to Sunday School. Misses Russell & Rich were in the class. After dinner Miss Russell called & we walked to Unadilla called on Agnes Kilpatrick & started back about 5:20. We thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Ate some sap icicles for old times sake. How well I remember getting them from the old 'sugar bush' up in Pittsfield back in the old schoolhouse. Miss Russell staid to lunch. We looked at the Bird & Moth books & had a nice little visit. I finished "Cardigan" today it is a good story of Sir Wm Johnson & the Indians & the conditions preceding the Revolution & taking in the Battle of Lexington. Wrote to Mrs. Prossen & enclosed some "current event" papers. I have many letters to write but need to go bed to rest for tomorrow's work. Wrote to Bertha Jewell & Blanche Moffatt.

Notes: I am unsure of the name Agnes Kilpatrick. I do not see anyone by that name in the census records for Otsego county in either 1910 or 1920. If anyone can better read the name, or knows who this lady was please let me know. There is an Agnes Kilpatrick in Walton, Deleware Co., NY for both those census years, which is about 20 miles south of Unadilla.

My transcription of Calla's reference to "ap icicles" may not be correct. The page is torn a bit at that area and I am unsure exactly what she is referring to. Could it be "pop" icicles? What would they have been called in 1917? UPDATE: Corrected to "sap" icicles. Thanks to my sister.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe the word is "sap" icicles...she says she used to get them of the sugar bush, which is apparently a refernce to maple trees.

Sis