Saturday, July 12, 2008

Apr. 13, 1917: Part 1

At Morris, NY Apr. 13, 1917
At last I am taking a few minutes to write in my journal. I'm up at Mother Edwards where I came at 10 this morning from Rose' bringing Bobbie with me. We have visited and spent 2 hours trying to get Bobby to sleep.

Now to go back at bit. On Monday night preceding vacation Daughters of Covenant met, we basted vests. Tues. after school at Mrs. Broadfoot's Misses Pudney, Sprague, Griffith & I basted remainder of vests. Wed. I helped girls do pillows. Wed. Night tried to go to business meeting of A.N.C., but had to leave to go to Board Meeting which was rather unsatisfactory as the men it seems had previously met & decided on a $25 raise-- so our arguments faile dto convince on our years of teaching to bring out any comments. The girls walked to Kipp's with me.

Thurs. Cora was with us. Supt. ?? from Endicott visited school & hired Louisa to go to Endicott next year. We got our contract with $10 added. Thurs. & Fri. Both I helped girls with pillows. Luella was down Fri. It was a long rainy day. I saw Mr. W- about 8th grade but came away Sat. without signing my contract & it seems go to think I'm not tied up for nest yr. altho it may mean a loss of my position at home. I worked Fri. night to get packed & ready to come.

Now about my visit in Morris. Father saw me to the station at Sidney & I took the 11:30 train arrived in Mt. Upton, took the auto stage which brought me to Gilbertsville where I found Ralph Porter waiting for me. We had a ride over such bad roads that it was past 2 when we reached Grove St., Morris-- saw Merton, Alice, Rose & Robert & before dinner Mother Edwards came. She looked very good to me.

We spent the afternoon visiting & had a little walk to Carey's Meat Market, saw Mr. Hewel, Mr. Carey, & Howard Niles.

We went to the movies in the Parish House at Night, met Mr & Mrs. Linn, & mother Linn. Saw Mr. & Mrs. Nichols, Elsie Harris & fellow, Laura Jerrey & Belle Half & others, mostly strangers.

Notes: This is a huge entry, with a ton of name references, which is why I am breaking to into two entries here.

Cora Pudney, and Andrew Pudney appear in the census in Pittsfield. Lots of Spragues and Griffiths in the county so I can't be sure which ones she was with that day.

Can anyone make out the Superintendent's name? It looks to me as if she wrote over the name twice, but I can't figure out who he is.

Mrs. Hewel is likely Mary Hewel, wife of Louie Hewel.

Mr. Carey is likely Norman Carey, husband of Helen L Carey. They are listed as owning a butcher's in the 1930 census.

Mr. & Mrs. Nichols is likely Charles Nichols and Emma Nichols.

I am not certain of the area that I transcribed as "Laura Jerrey & Belle Half." both of those names are poorly written, and I am not sure I have figured them out correctly.

Second half of entry to follow tomorrow.