Sunday, July 20, 2008

Apr. 29, 1918


Discontinued keeping journal on account of being so occupied with school work, home work, & all the things one finds to keep them busy-- but I miss it very much & altho' I believe it is easy to break a resolution; I'll try & begin this one for "keeps," putting in from time to time clippings that I want to keep, sayings that I want to remember & personal thoughts that no one would care to hear.

April 29, 1918
Weather rather cold & chilly & the spring backward hepaticas & arbutus are out & I have one jonquil in bloom.

Do not know exactly why I'm seized with a longing to write a journal again (I've always found it a comfort) until it is on account of setting the clocks ahead 1 hour which seems to get me up & started one hour earlier & I gain that one hour at night. Especially do I enjoy that extra hour of light at night -- as the twilight is by far the most enjoyable time of day.

Yesterday Mr. & Mrs. Bloxham & Helen took me for a nice auto ride to Milford; we started about 2 & got back about 5:45. Then I ate dinner & father & mother joined me but called theirs lunch. (I had to leave dinner to go for the ride.) I read til bed time; enjoyed beginning the life of Ella Wheeler Wilcox in the May Cosmopolitan. Finished "The Song Of The Cardinal" by Gene Stratton Porter.

To-day Mon. has been cloudy but no rain. "The Birth of A Nation" is put on at the Hippodrome & the children were excused at 3 to go. I came home early after buying some things for mother -- 12 aspirin tablets ¢25, bacon $.45 a can (18 slices) & 2 grapefruit @ 10¢ $.20. Got home early & combed mother's hair & helped get super. Ma & pa are both half sick with neuritis. Answered Mae Sackett's letter. Since supper I have begun this & now I'm going to get ready to go & hear a man who has been in the trenches lecture. I have many clippings of deaths to put in at this time. Sidney seems to be draped in mourning as it were. Last Thurs. April 25, 1918, Kate & Clayton came up with Will's body. He died Feb. 13 & the funeral was held Feb. 15 in Binghamton at Cornell's Undertaking Parlour.

Mon. evening. Just returned from a talk given by Colonel Ballantine who has been "over seas," and who is now instructor in Military Training at Colgate University. He takes an optimistic view of the War, and spoke comforting words to mothers who had sons "over there." His direct knowledge of the conditions were interesting.

While looking over papers Harris Crandall came; & we had a little visit. He & four others drove down to attend "The Birth of A Nation." Mrs. King went with me & I sat with Zora who came down with Mr. & Mrs. Robert Case. Am home at 10 o'clock. Will finish my papers before going to bed.

Notes: Daylight Saving Time was first observed in 1918 in the US, so it is a very new experience for Calla.

Harry Bloxham and Helen Bloxham, who also had a daughter named Helen, lived in Sidney, Deleware Co.

Kate King, Calla's older sister, married William Voeglin. Clayton Voeglin was their son.


No comments: