Friday, September 5, 2008

Letter: Josie Bumpus


My dear Friend,
First I must beg your pardon for not replying sooner to your good letters. I have thought of you so many times & have heard from you often through Maybelle.

These are such beautiful days. I am out a good deal looking over God's wonderful landscape. I do not like to stay indoors more than I can help. Our son has been down for a little visit. He left last night for Detroit. My heart ? home ? very very often. It is Natural of course. Mr. Bumpus is my comfort sake and I expect to make a trip to Ruttenville very soon. Have been here three months to day. You will not know the sanitarium when you come again. Dr. Strand and Maybelle have transformed it into a very different place with all new decorations & paint, varnish & c&c oil - looks fine and Maybelle graces the place as Matron beautifully. She lacks a good deal of being well but she is better. How thankful all her friends must be to have her in Dr. Strand's care as he possibly loved her as a daughter and she is a great help to him. She is real happy - she probably writes you of all her doings. Mr. Bumpus enjoys seeing the improvements going on - I think they expect some new patients soon - Mrs. Strand retired from Utica last January - been up ? you know. Faith cures I believe. Draw your own conclusions of the ? This is such a lovely morning wish you were here and we would walk the town over. I got a great deal of pleasure walking around this old town. Was down to Cooperstown a few days ago. I think it one of the most beautiful spots I have ever seen. The lakes. The hills & the old pine trees have a great charm for me. I suppose these are all busy days with you - teaching the young ? how to shoot. I went to teacher school once upon a time, years ago - I did not like it a little bit.

Maybelle's husband has been here quite a little of late, his work is somewhere in this locality. She hears good news from her kiddies. Do you I think Maybelle a fine character. She is always full of sunshine and never burdens anyone with all her suffering. I am so glad she has found such a friend in Dr. Strand and if anyone in all the world can cure her he certainly will.

Mr. Bumpus & ? Grille play dominoes as normal & must take a lot of comfort for they keep at the game at the old pace.

They will soon let up then laffe and walk out & sit in the shade of the old apple tree I suppose.

I hope your father & mother are all over neuritis. The name warm weather will do much for them I am sure.

When are you coming up again. I look forward to seeing you again &having a longer visit. "Daddy" often speaks of you - surely you have a warm place in all our hearts.

Do write me soon again and I won't wait so long again before replying. Shall report to Maybelle that I have written.

Hoping you are real well. ? these May days.

With love, I am sincerely yours,
Josie P Bumpus

Richfield Springs N.J.
May 17th, 1918

Notes: Sorry I am not able to completely transcribe this one. This woman had some... interesting... handwriting. If anyone can make out something I missed please let me know. (Or if you disagree with any of my transcriptions.)






No comments: